DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), an omega-3 fatty acid that is essential for the formation and maintenance of the central nervous system in humans, representing the 25% of the total fatty acids present in the brain cortex, 30% present in the retina and 60% in the photoreceptor cells of the retina.
Neol Bio has developed a process whereby DHA-rich oils are obtained through the culture of microalgae selected from in the Iberian Peninsula’s ecosystems. Unlike the fish oils, Neol Bio´s product:
- Provides a higher concentration of DHA
- Is free from environmental contaminants (mercury, lead, PCBs etc)
- Does not deplete marine resources
- Offers independence from suppliers and climate factors
- Has a totally controlled production process
Various clinical studies have demonstrated that supplementing the diet with DHA is effective in delaying cognitive impairment.
Currently, fish oils are the most abundant source of omega-3. But their market share is decreasing rapidly in favour of other sources such as the microalgae oil that will dominate the market in the future.
Most western diets are lacking in long chain omega-3 fatty acids.